Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Virginia

Society of Colonial Wars
Message from the Governor
Society Information
Purpose
Activities
Officers & Council
Governors
History
Seal of the Society
Flag Collection
Tablets and Monuments
General Society
Society Membership
Membership Information
Photos of the 2016 Fall Court
Photos of the 2017 Cy Nicholas Luncheon
Photos of the 2017 Spring Court
Annual Fund
Purpose of the Fund
Donations made by the Society
Links of Interest
Contact Us

Flag Collection


The Virginia Society has eight flags. They are:

The Flag of the United States.

The Flag of the Commonwealth of Virginia (Adopted May 1776. Designed by a committee headed by Chancellor George Wythe.)

The National Colors of the Confederacy. (This was the second official color. It was superseded by a new color in 1863.) While this flag obviously comes after the colonial period, it was included to represent one of the flags that has flown over Virginia.

The Flag of the Society of Colonial Wars. (The Cross of St. George with the Colonial Seal of Virginia. In 1707 “Quartam” replaced “Quintum.”)

The Cross of Saint George – The flag under which Virginia was settled and background for the flag of the General Society. With the adoption of this flag as
the background of the Society Color, question has been removed of the preeminence of Jamestown over Plymouth Rock.

The British Union - The flag first flown in 1606 and the result of merger of the flags of St. George (England) and of St. Andrew (Scotland). This is commonly known as the first “Union Jack.”

The Colors of the 44th Foot Regiment (British).

The Colors of the 48th Foot Regiment (British).

Contrary to data published elsewhere, these English regiments were brought to Virginia from Ireland, landing at Hampton in March 1755. An earlier effort had been made to bring them up to strength after extended tours in Northern Ireland. These efforts were unsuccessful, however, and the units were moved to Alexandria and there ordered to recruit to bring their strengths to 800. Recruiting efforts were not what was desired and a “draught” was used, for one of the first times in Virginia, to bring in the required number of men. In addition, Virginia had the year before been ordered to deactivate its regiments and maintain individual companies only. Six of these companies were called up and were attached to the two regiments as follows:

To the 44th were attached companies of Stephen, LePeyroney and Cocke.

To the 48th were attached the companies of Weggener, Hog (Hogge) and Poison.

The display of these flags does not commemorate the valor of the two regiments during Braddock’s Defeat, but rather commemorates the valor of the Virginians attached to them who, under Colonel Washington, their former regimental commander and at the time an aide to General Braddock, saved the British from total annihilation at the Battle of the Monongahela on July 9, 1755 by their courage and ability to fight and win in the woods.

The British National and Regimental Colors, and the National Colors of the Confederate States of America were presented to the Society by the late Honorable W. Brydon Tennant. The Society Flag was presented in honor of the late Herbert Worth Jackson, Jr., Governor of the Society 1946-48, by his many friends.